With all the rightful concern over the wildfires in GA, NC and TN, we thought now would be a good time to take a moment and review some wildfire safety tips.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) wildfires severity has worsened over the last 50 years, due to a number of factors. Over the last decade, over 80 million acres of land has burned. The US Forest Service reports that in 2015 alone, wildfires caused over $1.7 billion in damages.
Here’s a list of 10 Action Steps you can take to reduce the chances of fires starting around your home, and to protect your home in the event of a nearby wildfire:
- CLEAR leaves and other vegetative debris from roofs, gutters, porches and decks. This helps prevent embers from igniting your home.
- REMOVE dead vegetation and other items from under your deck or porch, and within 10 feet of the house
- SCREEN in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris and combustible materials from accumulating.
- REMOVE flammable materials (wood piles, propane tanks) within 30 feet of your home’s foundation and outbuildings, including garages and sheds. If it can catch fire, don’t let it touch your house, deck or porch.
- Wildfire can spread to tree tops. PRUNE trees so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.
- KEEP your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to reduce fire intensity. Dry grass and shrubs are fuel for wildfire.
- Don’t let debris and lawn cuttings linger. DISPOSE of these items quickly to reduce fuel for fire.
- INSPECT shingles or roof tiles. Replace or repair the shingles that are loose or missing to prevent ember penetration.
- COVER exterior attic vents with metal wire mesh no larger than 1/8 inch to prevent sparks from entering the home.
- ENCLOSE eaves and screen soffit vents using 1/8 mesh metal screening to prevent ember entry
And of course, if a wildfire does head your way EVACUATE as soon as possible and call your insurance agent.
You can download these Wildfire Safety Tips as a PDF that you can share with family and friends.
About Dawson Insurance
The first independent insurance agency in Dawson County, Dawson Insurance has a history of excellence since 1964. Located in Dawsonville, Georgia, we also offer unparalleled service and competitive quotes to personal and business insurance clients in Cumming, Gainesville, Alpharetta, and throughout the entire State of Georgia.
(The above article provides a brief overview of the terms and phrases used within the insurance industry. These definitions are not applicable in all states or for all insurance and financial products. This is not an insurance contract. Other terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. Please read your official policy for full details about coverages. These definitions do not alter or modify the terms of any insurance contract. If there is any conflict between these definitions and the provisions of the applicable insurance policy, the terms of the policy control.)