The majority of home fires occur in winter – December, January and February account for 50% of all home fires.
Here are some safety tips from the U.S. Fire Administration.
- Install and test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.
- Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year.
- Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container, and keep it outside at least 10 feet from your home and any nearby buildings.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators, or space heaters.
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time.
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- Turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
Most of these are common sense, but it never hurts to be reminded of them and to take a look around your home to make sure you are safe this winter.
About Dawson Insurance
The first independent insurance agency in Dawson County, Dawson Insurance has a history of excellence since 1964. Located in Dawsonville, Georgia, we also offer unparalleled service and competitive quotes to personal and business insurance clients in Cumming, Gainesville, Alpharetta, and throughout the entire State of Georgia.
(The above article provides a brief overview of the terms and phrases used within the insurance industry. These definitions are not applicable in all states or for all insurance and financial products. This is not an insurance contract. Other terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. Please read your official policy for full details about coverages. These definitions do not alter or modify the terms of any insurance contract. If there is any conflict between these definitions and the provisions of the applicable insurance policy, the terms of the policy control.)