Nothing beats the sheer joy on the face of a child opening a new toy at Christmas. However, many children are injured this time of year from poorly thought-out gifts. So, whether you are buying for your nieces and nephews, or screening your children’s gifts, here are some tips from the Consumer Products Safety Commission.
• Balloons – Children can choke or suffocate on deflated or broken balloons. Keep deflated balloons away from children younger than eight years old. Discard broken balloons immediately.
• Small balls and other toys with small parts – For children younger than age three, avoid toys with small parts, which can cause choking.
• Scooters and other riding toys – Riding toys, skateboards and in-line skates go fast, and falls could be deadly. Helmets and safety gear should be worn properly at all times and they should be sized to fit.
• Magnets – Children’s magnetic toys are covered by a strong safety standard that requires the magnets to be encapsulated. High-powered magnet sets have loose magnets, which is a key difference from children’s magnetic toys. High-powered magnet sets are dangerous and should be kept away from children. Whether marketed for children or adults, building and play sets with small magnets should also be kept away from small children.
Once gifts are open:
• Immediately discard plastic wrapping or other toy packaging before the wrapping and packaging become dangerous play things.
• Keep toys appropriate for older children away from younger siblings.
• Battery charging should be supervised by adults. Chargers and adapters can pose thermal burn hazards to young children. Pay attention to instructions and warnings on battery chargers. Some chargers lack any mechanism to prevent overcharging.
Have a safe and happy holiday everyone!
About Dawson Insurance
The first independent insurance agency in Dawson County, Dawson Insurance has a history of excellence since 1964. Located in Dawsonville, Georgia, we also offer unparalleled service and competitive quotes to personal and business insurance clients in Cumming, Gainesville, Alpharetta and throughout the entire State of Georgia.