In the event your home is destroyed, nothing is more valuable than a home inventory checklist. The adjuster assigned to you will work with you to determine exactly what was in your home. Trying to come up with this after a tragedy has occurred is next to impossible. Taking a home inventory prior to loss makes this process a lot easier.
Here are some tips on creating a home inventory checklist, along with a short video discussing the process.
- Home Inventory Checklist Tips
- List every item of value
- Include serial numbers wherever possible
- Keep your list updated. If you add something of value, update your list
- Take photos.
- Keep your list and photos in a safe place, offsite
- Email it to yourself and leave it in a “saved” folder
- Store it in the “cloud”
- Keep a printed copy with a family member or trusted neighbor
- Store copies in a safe deposit box
Take special note of any high-valued items you might own. Especially fine art, jewelry, cash/coins or collectibles. These items may have limitations on them in your policy. Be sure to talk to us about them so we can make sure they are properly insured.
About Dawson Insurance
The first independent insurance agency in Dawson County, Dawson Insurance has a history of excellence since 1964. Located in Dawsonville, Georgia, we also offer unparalleled service and competitive quotes to personal and business insurance clients in Cumming, Gainesville, Alpharetta and throughout the entire State of Georgia.