It may not feel like it yet, but fall has arrived and there are a few simple things you can do now to maintain your home that will help prevent winter insurance claims.
Some ideas you might want to consider:
- Have your furnace cleaned and inspected by a qualified technician.
- Keep flammable materials, including all lawn and power equipment, away from water heaters and wiring in the basement.
- Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to cold temperatures.
- Check for damage to your roof.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating.
- Check and repair caulking around doors and windows that show signs of deterioration.
- Check caulking around showers, bathtubs, sinks and toilet bases.
- Have your chimney cleaned and maintained by a professional.
- Replace your furnace filter. Establish a schedule for checking/replacing it.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust, and pieces of material.
- Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible, filled and ready for operation.
- Inspect your smoke detectors. Make sure there is one on each floor of your home. Test them monthly, and change the battery when the time changes. Replace the unit itself every ten years.
About Dawson Insurance
The first independent insurance agency in Dawson County, Dawson Insurance has a history of excellence since 1964. Located in Dawsonville, Georgia, we also offer unparalleled service and competitive quotes to personal and business insurance clients in Cumming, Gainesville, Alpharetta and throughout the entire State of Georgia.